Did You Spot It?
It all kicks off at the 69th Street Transportation Center, which the UK might call an interchange.
… marker pin top left above. The city centre lies between the two rivers to the east.
This is roughly where Mr Penn developed his embryo city in 1682. It has changed a bit since then!
We will return to the 69th Street Transportation Center in due course, but, for the moment we will concentrate on one little bit.
This is the turning loop for trolley lines 101 and 102.
There used to be a 103 and 104.
It looks very old-fashioned because it was.
The “sweeper” car (used to clear snow from the rails) …
… was built in 1922.
After closure, part of the line became the Ardmore Busway …
… still providing reserved track between two estate riads for part of replacement route 103. Just beyond the bridges (below) is Ardmore Junction former trolley station.
It never was a junction, in the sense that tracks did not diverge or merge.
But the upper level carried another line which will appear later in this series of blogs.
The 103 and 104 expired in the mid 1960s, but 101 and 102 remain, departing from the Transportation Center …
… as do buses 103 and 104, seen on the right.
101 and 103 trolleys are shown BROWN, 103 and 104 buses are RED.
The whole ambience if the line is of a country tram service round which the town expanded.
… then there is a short stretch of reserved track – single line, note …
… to the terminus, end on to a busy road.
There is a bus stop adjacent; but both lines 101 and 102 are similarly quaint.
But it is still VERY quaint. The Red Arrow name …
… was consigned to history although one of the 1981 new stock appeared ceremonially in red.
Yep, all very quaint; this one was from 1917 …
… and these were called Queen Marys!
And today there is definitely a quaint frequency.
A modest half hourly headway is operated Monday to Saturday …
…and hourly on Sundays. 102 is similar.
The cafe owner must have been a railway fan. His choice design of fencing is classic Midland Railway!